Literacy Center Ideas:
- Letter x mini-book (included)
- Letter x worksheets (included)
- Not a box activities (included)
- X-lesson plan activities (included)
- Hattie and the Fox activities/worksheet (included)
- Opinion Writing Prompts (included)
- Spot and Dot the letter X
All of the activities included above can be bought in our store/(You may use your account funds to pay for these lessons!)
Story Time Ideas:
- Read Hattie and the Fox and do a Reader’s Theater acting it out together. There are also worksheets included for this story as well.
- Read Not a Box, and any of the box books. Compare/contrast to books. Create things out of boxes and/or do the Not A Box activity book (included)
Writing Center Ideas:
- Focus on opinion writing (there is a Dr. Seuss Opinion writing prompt in the Dr. Seuss folder)
- Discuss what opinion writing is, and giving examples of why you have your opinion. An opinion I something that you think, feel or believe. Give two or more reasons/details why you believe what you think.
- Do the Opinion Writing Prompts (included)
- Make x-rays using q-tips as bones against black construction paper. Another way you can do this is using white paint on black paper
- Do you have a music room with xylophones? Perhaps you can find a xylophone to have the students play.
- Adopt some x-ray fish
Madreen Karle is a master first grade reading teacher with over 30 years of classroom experience. She taught reading in a special needs and English as a Second Language classroom. After retiring she wrote a reading program to help others learn how to teach reading. She is a trusted educator and author of 5 books to help teach children to read and write. In addition to her books, she is a mentor for 3 websites that give reading teacher tips (Mrs. Karle's Sight and Sound Reading, Mrs. Karle's Reading Patch, and Mrs. Karle's Handwriting Patch). Through her teaching she learned that confidence was the key to learning to read. A child who is not confident at reading does not like to read and struggles to read. Mrs. Karle created "sunshine moments" to help teach children how to grow their confidence and learn to read.
Meeghan Karle Mousaw (Madreen’s daughter) has her Master’s in Special Education. She has 7 years experience teaching children to read online. In addition, she developed a curriculum to teach children handwriting called The Handwriting Patch. With the Handwriting Patch learning is fun because children learn to draw and learn handwriting at the same time. In 2019 The Handwriting Patch curriculum became an amazon best seller the first year it was released, helping thousands of kids learn handwriting with a unique, fun method. She is mom to 6 kids, each with differently learning abilities and struggles.
The Reading Patch was established by the creators of Mrs. Karle’s Sight and Sound Reading. Together they have been featured on the NBC media outlets. Over the last 7 years in their online platform, Madreen and Meeghan have worked tirelessly with teachers, homeschoolers and parents looking to help children learn to read to become a trusted authority in teaching children to read and advocating early literacy skills. They often partner with other educational experts to deliver the most current information to the Reading Patch community.